The Slovenian electrical technicians first formed a professional organization in 1923, when they founded a Professional Cooperative of Licensed Electrical Engineers, which embraced the majority of Slovenian electrical engineers. In 1931, during the worst time of the world economic crisis, they began to publish “Electrotechnical Review”, which is still being published regularly.
At that time, the U.J.L.A. (the Association of Yugoslav Engineers and Architects) operated in Ljubljana. They organized round tables at which they dealt with the problems of energy supply in Slovenia. They discussed the electrification of the Dravska banovina (the territory of the then Slovenia), private and state-owned power plants, long-distance power lines that were to interconnect the power plants (Velenje-Fala-Celje-Ljubljana), and would mean the beginning of the Slovenian electricity transmission network. Representatives of the authorities also attended these evening debates; thus, the discussions gained social significance, and became the starting points for taking decisions and action.
After WWII, this mission was continued by the Electrotechnical Review (Electrotechnical Code – 1946); the association became active in 1952, when Vekoslav Korošec, Drago Chvatal and Franc Dobnikar, along with 23 supporters, established the Electrotechnical Society of Slovenia at the Faculty of Electrical Engineering (the old technical school at Aškerčeva Street). Vekoslav Korošec, dipl. el. ing. was appointed the first chairman (1952-1953). The society set up subsidiaries in other major Slovenian towns.
In 1961, the society became the Electrotechnical Association of Slovenia, with its main base in Ljubljana, and the former subsidiaries were turned into societies, which allowed the members and the branch of the profession to operate in a more organized way.